6 Proven Steps to Create a Digital Marketing Strategy
In recent years, digital marketing has surpassed billboards and newspaper ads as the most effective means of promoting brands and products. The modern customers are almost always online, so it is important for marketers to reach them and observe their behaviors online to know where they spend the most time. This is the reason why digital marketing has become a necessity for all businesses, and also it provides marketers with a lot of options to reach their target audience. However, selecting the right strategies is the key to your success.
In this post, we are going to discuss 6 proven steps to creating a digital marketing strategy from scratch.
Define Your Goal
The first step to your digital marketing strategy is identifying what you want to accomplish with your digital marketing campaigns. Your goal should be tied to your business goals and base on the SMART criteria.
SMART stands for (Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely).
Let’s say your business goal is to increase online revenue by 20% this quarter, your digital marketing campaign goal might be to generate 50% more leads via the website than you did in the previous quarter. As you can see, the goal is specific, measurable, and relevant to the business goal and timely.
Whatever your goals are, you’ll need to take specific steps to accomplish each one of them. We’ll discuss more on this.
Understanding the user Digital Sales Funnel
The digital sales funnels exist in every marketing process whether you are aware of it or not. It is set up to lead customers through the process of buying things online from the moment they first know about your brand, make a purchase and becoming long term customers. Understanding the digital sales funnel of your business is vital to creating a winning digital marketing strategy for your business because it gives you a clear picture of the steps every customer takes before making a purchase.
Depending on your marketing reference, the stages may vary in number and exact name but they give the same understanding. Your digital sales funnel may include the following;
- Awareness: The first time people hear about your brand.
- Consideration/research: They learn more about your products/services and your competition.
- Purchase: They are willing to become your customers and purchase from you at this stage.
- Loyalty: Your customers make a repeat purchase and advocate for your brand.
Users in different stages of the sales funnel will interact differently with your brand and can be reached on different platforms, so your digital marketing strategy should be designed with that in mind.
Know Your Customers
When creating a digital marketing strategy, having a proper understanding of your target audience and what motivates them is critical to your success. This will help you understand the right marketing platform to reach them, the tone of voice of your message and what they expect from you.
The best way to know your customers and understand them properly is to create a buyer persona. A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customers based on marketing research and real data about your existing customers. This should include insights from Google analytics and Facebook audience insight.
Your buyer persona should be specific and provide information about the target audience’s pain point. For example, Sarah Obi, 30 – 50 years, she is married with 2 kids, she is a working mom who is balancing her career with raising a family, she is an on-the-go woman who uses online resources for just about every aspect of her life – from cooking to parenting.
With this information, any marketer will be able to understand their target customers and know how to reach them effectively.
Finding Your Users at Every Stage of the Funnel
After understanding your audiences and their pain points. You might want to understand how and where to connect with them on your sales funnel. This can be done by using analytics to understand users’ behavior on your campaigns across all channels mostly on your website.
For example, you run a real estate company. You acquire acres of land and sell them per plot in an estate to low-income earners to enable them to become landowners, you offer a flexible payment plan to enable your customers to acquire land and pay in installment. You can find your audience in different stages of your sales funnel. Here is how you can reach your target different audience in different stages of the sales funnel;
- Someone who is taking his time to find and purchase a plot of land to build a house. He Googles phrases like “Land for sale in Lekki” or “Buy properties in Lagos” or other keywords relevant to his goal. If he finds your blog post on how to buy land in Lagos the do and don’t, he might buy from you.
- Someone who needs to sell his land/property as quickly as possible because he needs instant cash to execute a personal project. You can connect with this user via Google ads because he is actively searching for the services you offer and it’ll be very effective if you become instantly visible in his online search.
- Someone who is aware of his need to acquire properties, he knows where and whom to buy from but he is unwilling to make a purchase because he thinks he can’t afford it with his current cash flow. The best way to reach this set of users is to run Facebook/Instagram ads showing how affordable it is to acquire properties with your company due to the flexible payment plan you offer.
- This is a customer who is thrilled with the past transactions with your business. This user can best be targeted with email marketing, informing them of the latest promotional offers.
Implement Specific Guidelines to Reach Your Goals
You have successfully got your marketing mix selected and you know what to expect from your target audience. Now is time to create specific tactics that will help you reach your end goals. These tactics might include:
- Sharing influencer’s contents on social media in order to build a relationship and increase brand visibility and awareness.
- Placing lead generation widgets or lead magnet on your blog post with a relevant call to action.
- Using chatbot widgets on the website to convert visitors to leads.
- Sending newsletters with useful and engaging blog posts to subscribers.
- Creating PPC campaign targeting keywords relevant to your products/services or blog post topic.
- Using retargeting to reach the audience in different stages of the funnel.
- Ranking website for relevant keywords with search engine optimization.
Incorporate Automation and Personalization
Now that your campaign is up and running, you might need to make your campaign more impactful by using marketing automation and personalization. This should include ad retargeting and email autoresponder with personalized messages for specific groups of audiences and their relationship with the business. This way, they will see your messages at the ideal time when it is most relevant to their needs.
This is the step where you troubleshoot your strategy. You might want to give yourself a calendar to evaluate your strategy 2 – 3 times a month. This can be overwhelming given the fact that multiple elements are involved in your campaign. I would recommend using Google Analytics along with other analytics on the channels you are utilizing for your digital marketing campaigns. You want to evaluate how much lead you’re collecting and how helpful they are to achieving your goals.
Digital marketing is a big deal and it needs to be done with the right strategy or you will be wasting your campaign budget with no real results. While it’s easy to get started on as many platforms at once, the truth is that running any digital campaign without having any specific goal in mind is like setting out for a wild goose chase – you are not going to see any results. This is because you don’t have the right content to get the results, and nobody wants to spend all that time and money with no results.
Do you still need help with your digital marketing strategy?
Get in touch with us and we will see how we can set your digital footprint on the right path.